This informational guideline has been developed to identify the minimal submittal requirements for a permit application for tents, membrane structures and/or air structures larger than 400 sq. ft. The information provided contains, and is not all-inclusive to, the City of Wheaton’s adopted Building Codes, Ordinances, and inspections required for this type of project. Please review this information and call the phone numbers provided should you have any questions.
Amusements, such as carnivals and fairs, require a special use permit and approval from City Council; therefore, you must contact the Wheaton Police Department at 630-260-4861, within ninety (90) days prior to the event.
All associated documents are provided below.
The following documents need to be submitted to initiate a review of your project:
- Building Permit Application
Provide Building Application for Permit that includes: site address, size of tents(s), contractor(s), the total cost of work to be performed, permit applicant contact information, etc.
- Plat of Survey
Provide a Plat of Survey indicating the location of the tent with dimensions to all structures within (30) feet, as well as roads, driveways, and/or parking lots.
Provide detail of tent interior identifying arrangement of exits, isles, tables and chairs, booths, seating capacity, fire extinguisher, and portable toilets.
Provide a staking diagram from the tent manufacturer.
- Flame Resistant Certification
Provide a flame-resistant certification for tent fabric (or air-supported structure).
- Electrical Lighting
If temporary electrical lights or receptacles are proposed, submit a plan of fixture locations, supply source, overhead clearances. See Contractor Requirements for information regarding the electrician.
- Manufacturer’s (for Heaters) Cut Sheet
Submit a manufacturer’s cut sheet of any temporary heating equipment for the City of Wheaton approval. If portable heaters are utilized, they shall be inspected daily when in use by a qualified person representing the owner and any defects must be corrected before the public is admitted. Only labeled heating devices shall be permitted.
Significant Codes - Building
The provisions of this section shall apply to tents, membrane structures, and other structures erected for a period of less than 180 days.
- Call J.U.L.I.E. prior to driving stakes at 1-800-892-0123 or 811.
- Tent stakes, adjacent to any means of egress from any tent open to the public, shall be railed off, capped or covered in such a manner as to not present a hazard to the public.
- Portable fire extinguishing equipment shall be furnished and maintained in tents and temporary membrane structures by the person(s) operating any assembly occupancy in such amount and in such locations as directed by the authority having jurisdiction and must provide one (1) rated fire extinguisher 2A:10B: C for every 3,000 square feet floor area with maximum 75 feet travel distance from any point to the nearest fire extinguisher. IFC, 2018 906 IFC.
- Any electrical system and equipment shall be isolated from the public by proper elevation or guarding and all electrical fuses and switches shall be enclosed in approved enclosures. Cables on the ground in areas transverse by the public shall be placed in trenches and protected by approved covers.
The inspections listed below are required prior to opening the tent(s) for public use. If additional inspections are required, they will be identified at the time of permit issuance.
To schedule an inspection, please call 630-260-2050 a minimum of 24 hours in advance, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
For associated Building fees, please refer to Appendix B7 Fee Schedule per the Wheaton City Code - Building Fee Schedule.
City of Wheaton Building & Code Enforcement Department
Address: 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187
Business hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.