Utility Easement (Approval to Build Within)
The City of Wheaton utility easement provisions prohibits accessory structures (sheds, garages, and pools) within public utility easements unless permission has been requested and granted from each respective utility company (AT&T, Comcast, ComEd, and Nicor) as well as subsequent approval by the City of Wheaton.
It is the responsibility of the owner to confirm what the submittal requirements are for each respective utility company; typical requirements include:
- Letter from property owner requesting permission to construct within the utility easement, describing the proposed construction;
- Plat of survey of the subject property showing the size and location of the proposed construction.
Listed below are the addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail information of each utility company for your use.
**Please contact the City of Wheaton, Building & Code Department, should any of the information below be inaccurate.
- Contact: Easement Encroachment Department - Jacalyn Frost
- Email (preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 779-230-6095
- Address: 262 N. Ottawa, Joliet, IL 60432
- Contact: Ted Wyman
- Phone: 224-229-5850
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 688 Industrial Drive, Elmhurst, IL 60126
- Contact: Russell Dillon
- Phone: 630-437-2463
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Three Lincoln Centre, Real Estate Department, 4th Floor, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
- Contact: Real Estate Department - Gwendolyn A. Borjon
- Phone: 630-388-2976
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 1844 W. Ferry Rd., Naperville, IL 60563
Once approval letters are received from all of the Utility Companies referenced above, please submit one (1) copy of each letter to the City of Wheaton Building & Code Department along with a completed permit application and any additional required documents relating to your specific project for review.
Prior to any excavations or digging, a call must be placed to the Joint Utility Locating Information for Excavators (J.U.L.I.E) at 1-800-892-0123 or 811 at least 48 hours prior to any digging. Member companies will locate the underground utilities to help avoid damage during excavation, J.U.L.I.E will contact the City of Wheaton Water Division to locate their water and sewer main.
Questions may be directed to the City of Wheaton Building & Code Enforcement Department at 630-260-2050 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.