Permits are required for most signs, including the replacement of a sign face. Please refer to the Wheaton Zoning Ordinance (WZO), Article 23 to determine what regulations may be applicable for the type of sign you would like to install, the table below is an index to the WZO for signs:
Codes and ordinances that apply to signage include:
- Wheaton Zoning Ordinance. See Article 23, sign requirements.
- Foundations and Support Poles. Supporting structures such as foundations, poles, and wall supporting brackets require plans from a design professional. Applicable structural codes are found in the International Building Code, 2003 Edition, Section 1601.1.
- UL Labels. All manufactured signage, including channel letters and raceways, are required to be Underwriters Laboratory listed.
The following documents need to be submitted to initiate a review of your project:
- Application for Permit
Sign Permit Application shall include: site address, business name, sign company information, permit applicant name and phone number, and the name of the electrical contractor (if applicable), etc.
- Contractor Registration
Please see Contractor Registration Guidelines. Only the electrical contractor must be currently registered with the City of Wheaton prior to permitting issuance. Sign contractors are not required to register with the City ofWheaton.
- Elevation Drawing(s)
Provide (2) two copies of the Elevation drawing(s) showing the overall dimensions, font, and color of the proposed sign. If the sign is to be “illuminated” include the exterior electrical disconnect detail and location.
- Plat of Survey/Site Plan
Provide two (2) scaled copies of either the Plat of Survey or Site Plan identifying the location of the monument or pole sign, including distance to all nearby lot lines and overall dimensions of the monument or pole sign.
- Landlord Approval
Provide one (1) copy of a document acknowledging the Landlord’s approval of the proposed signage.
- Foundation/Pier Plan (Monument or Pole Signs)
Provide two (2) sets of architectural plans signed and sealed by either an Illinois architect or structural engineer. The plans for Pole Signs must also include wind load calculations.
- Grading Plan - Type I
Monument signs constructed with a footing/foundation may require a Grading Plan - Type I. Questions should be directed to the Development Engineer at 630-260-2868.
The inspection listed below is required for all Signs. Additional inspections may be needed based upon the scope of work. If additional inspections are required, they will be identified at the time of permit issuance.
To schedule an inspection, please call 630-260-2050 a minimum of 24 hours in advance, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday.
For associated Building fees, please refer to Appendix B7 Fee Schedule per the Wheaton City Code - Building Fee Schedule.
City of Wheaton Building & Code Enforcement Department
Address: 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187
- Sign Design Questions: 630-260-2008
- Sign Application Questions: 630-260-2050
- Fax: 630-260-2195 (contractor registrations, certificates of insurance & bonds)
Business hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.