Parking Lot Lighting
This guideline has been developed to assist you in your efforts to replace light fixtures or to install light poles, bases. Prior to installation, a permit must be obtained from the City of Wheaton Building Department. Provided below is information that addresses what needs to be submitted to the City, pertinent building codes, permit fees and required inspections. These guidelines are by no means all-inclusive but identify the most critical requirements that are involved in this type of project.
Required Submittals (for new installations or replacing fixture or bulbs)
The following documents need to be submitted to initiate a review of your project:
- Building Application for Permit
Building Application for Permit shall include: site address, description of work, contractor(s), total cost of work to be performed, permit applicant contact information, etc.
- Contractor Registration - Please see Contractor Registration Guidelines.
- Product Information Sheets
Provide two (2) copies of the manufacturer’s product information cut sheets to include, but not limited to: shoebox style light fixtures, light bulb type & wattage, 24/7 lighting controls, light shields and similar.
- Photometric Study (if wattage or lumens are increasing)
Provide one (1) copy of the photometric study of the parking lot that indicates the foot candle levels at the property lines.
Required Submittals (Applicable Codes when installing poles & bases)
- Product Information Sheets
Provide two (2) copies of the manufacturer’s product information cut sheets for light poles and anchor bolts.
- Pier Plan
Provide two (2) copies of the concrete pier design that are signed and sealed by an Illinois licensed architect or structural engineer.
- Plat of Survey/Site Plan
Provide two (2) scaled copies of either the Plat of Survey or Site Plan of the parking lot identifying the location of light poles, routing of power, depth of cable, type of cable, and any underground or overhead power lines.
The City of Wheaton has adopted, either by City ordinance or by code reference, the following codes for all commercial construction within the City limits:
- International Building Code 2012
- National Electric Code 2011
All code modifications by local ordinance are available for viewing at www.wheaton.il.us, within the applicable section headings of the Wheaton Zoning Ordinance Article 22.49. Copies of these modifications and of the Codes listed above are also available at the City Hall, Building and Code Enforcement Department.
Significant Codes - Parking Lot Lighting
Wheaton Zoning Ordinance, 22.4 Off-Street Parking Design, and Construction Standards. All open off-street parking facilities shall comply with the following standards:
- Lighting: Parking lot lighting shall be required for all parking lots containing more than twenty (20) spaces. All lighting, except necessary for security purposes, shall be extinguished one-half (½) hour after the close of business.
- Lighting for off-street parking facilities shall be of a shoe-box style luminaire with a flat lens installed parallel to the ground to prevent glare at eye level on surrounding public or private property. The footcandle illumination of lighting shall not exceed 0.5 foot-candles at the property line. The maximum luminaire shall be 400 watts and the maximum pole height shall be 30 feet.
The inspections listed below are required for all Parking Lot Lighting installations. Additional inspections may be needed based upon the scope of work. If additional inspections are required, they will be listed on the Plan Approval Notice attached to the approved plans.
To schedule an inspection, please call 630-260-2050 a minimum of 24 hours in advance, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday.
For associated Building fees, please refer to Appendix B7 Fee Schedule per the Wheaton City Code - Building Fee Schedule.
City of Wheaton Building & Code Enforcement Department
Address: 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187
- Application Questions: 630-260-2050
- Fixture/Lumen Questions: 630-260-200
- Inspection Scheduling: 630-260-2050
- Fax: 630-260-2195 (contractor registrations, certificates of insurance & bonds)
Business hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.