Roofing - Residential
This guideline has been developed to assist you in obtaining a permit when tearing-off or installing a new roof covering on residential buildings, as well as accessory structures. Prior to performing roofing work, a permit must be obtained from the City of Wheaton Building Department. Provided below is information that addresses what needs to be submitted to the City, pertinent building codes and permit fees. These guidelines are by no means all-inclusive, but they do identify the most critical requirements that are involved in this type of project. Please review this information and call the City of Wheaton Building Department with questions.
All associated documents are provided below.
The following documents need to be submitted to initiate a review of your project:
- Building Application for Permit shall include: site address, description of work, Roofing Contractor’s Company Name and Company’s State Roofer’s License Number, cost of work, permit applicant contact information, etc.
- Provide a copy of the contractors’ limited roofing license and contract.
- Who can perform the work
Limited roofing license - residential roofing, including residential properties consisting of eight (8) units or less.
Property owner – property owner is not required to register as a Roofing Contractor. Property owner may perform residential roofing on their property as long as they do not employ an assistant.
Residential Building. For this code, includes detached one and two dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) and Group R-2, R-3 and R-4 buildings three stories or less in height above grade plane.
- Roof R-Value
Per the 2018 International Energy Code:
- R-20 (average) when the insulation is entirely above the deck.
- R-38 when the insulation is installed in the attic and other areas.
- Street occupancy permit (If the staging area is in the city right-of-way)
Provide Engineering Application for Permit along with information of staging area to include: Schedule of work, type and the number of barricades, number, and location of parking spaces to be occupied, etc.
The City of Wheaton has adopted, either by City ordinance or by code reference, the following codes for all commercial construction within the City limits:
- International Residential Code 2018
- International Energy Conservation Code 2018
All code modifications by local ordinance are available for viewing at www.wheaton.il.us, within the applicable section headings of the Municipal Code (Chapter 22, Buildings and Building Regulations).
Copies of these modifications and of the Codes listed above are also available at the Wheaton Public Library as reference materials.
No Inspections required for Commercial and Residential Re-roofs.
For associated Building fees, please refer to Appendix B7 Fee Schedule per the Wheaton City Code - Building Fee Schedule.
City of Wheaton Building & Code Enforcement Department
Address: 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187
- Submittal Questions: 630-260-2050
- Residential Roofing: 630-260-2053
Business hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.