Green Building Resources
As part of the City of Wheaton's Strategic Goal of promoting environmental sustainability, the City's Building Department is providing resources where you can learn about incorporating sustainable options and practices into the building process.
- Energy Star: www.energystar.gov/
Energy Star is the federal government-backed symbol for energy efficiency, providing simple, credible, and unbiased information that consumers and businesses rely on to make well-informed decisions.
- U.S. Green Building Council: LEED Rating Systems for Residential Projects: www.usgbc.org/leed/rating-systems/residential
The U.S. Green Building Council provides information on LEED certification for residential projects, a rating of the project's sustainability. To achieve LEED certification, a project earns points by adhering to prerequisites and credits that address carbon, energy, water, waste, transportation, materials, health and indoor environmental quality.
- U.S. Green Building Council: LEED Ratings for New Buildings: www.usgbc.org/leed/rating-systems/new-buildings
LEED for Building Design and Construction (LEED BD+C) provides a framework for building a holistic green building, incorporating sustainability features and maximizing the benefits.
- National Association of Home Builders: www.nahb.org/advocacy/industry-issues/sustainability-and-green-building
The National Association of Home Builders provides resources on sustainability and green building practices.
- Building Green: www.buildinggreen.com
Building Green provides knowledge and resources for architects, designers and other sustainability professionals to make their projects greener and healthier.
- Green Building Insider: https://greenbuildinginsider.com/
The Green Building Insider Group shares information on green building issues surrounding LEED certification, LEED drivers from stimulus projects, existing building opportunities, Building Information Modeling, new technology, energy, regulation, risk and factors arising from increased regulations and more.