Place all acceptable recyclable materials in the blue recycling cart issued to your home, no sorting needed.
Please do not place plastic bags in the recycling cart.
Can Be Recycled
Paper & Cardboard:
- Wrapping paper (remove bows, etc.)
- Junk mail
- Notebook and computer paper
- Brown paper bags
- Corrugated cardboard (cut into 3-foot squares or smaller)
- Cereal/tissue boxes
- Frozen food packages
- Milk cartons
- Orange juice cartons
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil and formed containers
- Steel or tin cans
- Metal pots and pans
- Bottles and jars only that are brown, green or clear glass.
The following plastic numbers/types are recyclable:
- #1 Plastic: Soda, water and flavored beverage plastic bottles (clear and green). Leave cap on.
- #2 Plastic: Laundry detergent containers, milk and water jugs
- #3 Plastic: Household cleaners, beauty product containers
- #4 Plastic: Margarine tubs, six-pack rings
- #5 Plastic: Yogurt cups, narrow-neck syrup and ketchup bottles
- #7 Plastic: Some water bottles and food containers
Can’t Be Recycled
- Scrap metal
- Plastic bags, including grocery bags
- Mirrors, window glass and Pyrex
- Light bulbs
- Motor oil, anti-freeze, pool chemicals or other hazardous waste containers
- #6 Plastic and polystyrene
If you have more materials to recycle than will fit in your cart, please mark them for recycling and ensure they weigh no more than 50 pounds. If you consistently generate recyclables in excess of your cart, contact Lakeshore Recycling Systems at 773-685-8811 to arrange the purchase/upgrade to a larger cart or an additional cart.