There are two options for recycling your electronics in Wheaton through two different programs:
- Monthly electronic recycling drop-off events
- Curbside pickup on your garbage day
1. Monthly Electronic Recycling Drop-off Events
Date: Second Saturday of each month
Time: 9 a.m. to noon
Location: Public Works Storage Yard, 820 W Liberty Drive, Wheaton (near the Wheaton Police Department)
Accepted for Recycling:
- Computer monitors* and televisions*
- Computers, laptops, servers, mice, printers, scanners, facsimile, wires, cords & cables, adapters, power supplies, ballasts, circuit boards, computer batteries, computer drives
- VCR & DVD players/recorders, CD players, cable & converter boxes, digital converter boxes, satellite receivers, video game consoles, electronic keyboards
- Portable music players, cell phones, tablets, phones, modems
- Coffee pots (not the glass part)
- Holiday light strings
- Cooking oil (for recycling into biofuel)
- Fluorescent tube lights (no CFL light bulbs)
*Tax-deductible donation fee applies for all televisions and monitors:
- $25 per TV/monitor with screens smaller than 21 inches
- $35 per TV/monitor with screens 21 inches and larger
eWorks Electronic Services Inc. will accept cash or credit card payments at the drop-off (no checks), or you can prepay at recycle.eworksesi.org. You will receive a tax-deductible receipt at the time of drop-off.
NOT ACCEPTED at the Monthly Drop-off Events:
- Large and small appliances
- Electronics from businesses
- Hazardous and chemical waste
- CFL light bulbs
Questions about what is/is not accepted? Contact eWorks Electronic Services Inc. at 217-364-7543.
2. Curbside Electronic Recycling Collection
To have your electronics collected at the curb on your garbage day, you must call Lakeshore Recycling Systems at 773-685-8811 at least one day before your garbage day. Place items at the curb with the appropriate sticker by 6 a.m. on your pickup day.
Curbside collection requires the following number of stickers (see more information about Lakeshore stickers):
- E-Waste single item: 1 sticker
- E-Waste bundle (within brown paper bag): 5 stickers
- E-Waste TV or computer monitor: 10 stickers
For your security, clear off files and information from your computer and devices before placing them at the curb. The City and garbage hauler are not responsible for the security of items placed at the curb.
Items Accepted for Recycling:
- Electronics such as televisions, printers, computers, computer monitors, laptops, gaming consoles, docking stations, fax machines, scanners, hard drives, stereos, copy machines, cell phones, keyboards/mice, extension cords, telephones, cameras, network cables, computer cords.
- Small household appliances such as blenders, microwaves, toasters, alarm clocks, hair dryers, etc. Nearly anything with a cord
NOT ACCEPTED for Recycling Curbside:
- Electronics containing liquids/hazardous materials, including air conditioners, refrigerators and dehumidifiers
(These “white goods” are collected through a separate program, 10 stickers per item)
- Batteries for cars, boats or sump pumps
- Smoke detectors (return to manufacturer for proper disposal)
- CFL light bulbs
- Gas-powered engines
Questions about what can be recycled curbside? Contact Lakeshore Recycling Systems at 773-685-8811.