There are two options for recycling your electronics in Wheaton through two different programs:
- Monthly electronic recycling drop-off events
- Curbside pickup on your garbage day
1. Monthly Electronic Recycling Drop-off Events
- Date: Second Saturday of each month
- Time: 9 a.m. to noon
- TEMPORARY LOCATION: Commuter Lot 9, Liberty Drive & Carlton Avenue
Accepted for Recycling:
- Computer monitors* and televisions*
- Computers, laptops, servers, mice, printers, scanners, facsimile, wires, cables, adapters, power supplies
- VCR & DVD players, cable & converter boxes, satellite receivers, video game consoles, electronic keyboards
- Portable music players, cell phones, tablets, phones, modems
- Holiday light strings
- Cooking oil (for recycling into biofuel)
Please note that while the collection is relocated to its temporary location, the following will not be collected:
- Fluorescent tube lights (no CFL light bulbs)
- Scrap metal
*Tax-deductible donation fee applies for all televisions and monitors:
- $25 per TV/monitor with screens smaller than 21 inches
- $35 per TV/monitor with screens 21 inches and larger
eWorks Electronic Services Inc. will accept cash or credit card payments at the drop-off (no checks), or you can prepay at recycle.eworksesi.org. You will receive a tax-deductible receipt at the time of drop-off.
2. Curbside Electronic Recycling Collection
To have your electronics collected at the curb on your garbage day, you must call Lakeshore Recycling Systems at 773-685-8811 at least one day before your garbage day. Place items at the curb with the appropriate sticker by 6 a.m. on your pickup day.
Curbside collection requires the following number of stickers:
- E-Waste single item: 1 sticker = $2.81
- E-Waste bundle (within brown paper bag): 5 stickers =$14.05
- E-Waste TV or computer monitor: 10 stickers = $28.10
For your security, clear off files and information from your computer and devices before placing them at the curb. The City and garbage hauler are not responsible for the security of items placed at the curb.
Items Accepted for Recycling:
- Electronics such as televisions, printers, computers, computer monitors, laptops, gaming consoles, docking stations, fax machines, scanners, hard drives, stereos, copy machines, cell phones, keyboards/mice, extension cords, telephones, cameras, network cables, computer cords.
- Small household appliances such as blenders, microwaves, toasters, alarm clocks, hair dryers, etc. Nearly anything with a cord