Stormwater Management to Address Pollutants
Wheaton’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Program (NPDES)
Polluted stormwater runoff is commonly transported through municipal separate storm sewer systems, from which it is often discharged untreated into local water bodies. To prevent harmful pollutants from being washed or dumped into municipal storm sewer systems, EPA stormwater regulations require municipalities with separate storm sewer systems to acquire permits through the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination. The City of Wheaton must follow the EPA’s stormwater requirements for populations less than 100,000, classified as Stormwater Phase II.
Stormwater Phase II programs address the following program components:
- Construction Site Runoff Control
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Pollution Prevention / Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations
- Post-Construction Runoff Control
- Public involvement
- Public education and outreach
More information about these program components is available on the EPA’s website.
About the Plan
Operators of regulated municipal separate storm sewer systems are required to develop a stormwater management plan that has stormwater management controls called best management practices that include measurable goals for each of these program components to ensure that pollution is prevented from entering the storm sewer system to the maximum practical extent.
The City of Wheaton’s stormwater management plan covers a broad spectrum of best management practices, which include street sweeping, informational brochures, storm sewer cleaning, and recycling, just to name a few. The City of Wheaton National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Annual Report contains the current full list of the City’s best management practices and can be found below along with Wheaton’s five-year permit from the EPA.
Additionally, the City is a participating partner with DuPage County to provide a broader stormwater management plan to further prevent stormwater pollution. As such, links to DuPage County’s Annual Reports and National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Program Permit can be found below as well.
- Annual Report (April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017)
- Annual Report (April 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016)
- Annual Report (April 1, 2014 to March 31, 2015)
- Annual Report (April 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014)
- Annual Report (April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013)
- Annual Report (April 1, 2011 to March 31, 2012)
- Annual Report (April 1, 2010 to March 31, 2011)
- Annual Report (April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010)
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Program Permit (PDF)
- Notice of Intent from Wheaton to the EPA (2016)
- Notice of Intent from Wheaton to the EPA (2013)
- Notice of Intent from Wheaton to the EPA (2009)
- Stormwater Management Program Plan (PDF)