As the summer of Wheaton Warhol continues, Wheaton’s Fine & Cultural Arts Commission encourages the community to come celebrate Andy Warhol’s birthday with art, music, a pop-up art exhibition and more from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 5. The event will take place on the Liberty Drive plaza near the Wheaton French Market, just east of Main Street. This event continues the celebration of Pop Art in honor of the McAninch Arts Center’s Andy Warhol Portfolios: A Life in Pop exhibit at the College of DuPage.
In celebration of what would have been Andy Warhol’s 95th birthday (Aug. 6), the commission has the following activities planned:
- 10 a.m.-noon: Performance by Trevor Hill’s Beyond Standard
- Noon-2 p.m.: Performance by Paul Abella’s Questionable Decisions 7-piece band. Hear multiple sets of Andy Warhol-inspired music.
Also throughout the event:
- Visit the live silk-screening booth hosted by SBI Tees Custom Apparel, where they will use techniques like the process Andy Warhol used in the Factory NYC.
- See the collaborative Factory Friday paintings created by three Wheaton College muralists during the Downtown Wheaton Association’s Factory Friday events, which will come together at this event to create a brand new work of art.
- Enjoy live painting by Jazz Occurrence founder Lewis Achenbach.
- Meet impersonators of Andy Warhol and Factory people, who will encourage visitors to check out the commission’s Pop Art fire hydrant project throughout the downtown.
This event is free to attend and open to the community. WDCB 90.9FM will be the event’s media sponsor.