Help celebrate the 5th annual Bike Wheaton Festival on Saturday, Aug. 10, from 10 a.m. to noon. Led by the Wheaton Bicycle Advisory Commission and the Downtown Wheaton Association, this is a free family-friendly event celebrating fun on two wheels.
This year’s Bike Wheaton Festival will take place in the parking lot behind Wheaton City Hall, 303 W Wesley Street. A bike parade begins at 10 a.m., followed by a bike decorating contest and a bike rodeo with Wheaton Police. Also included are exhibitions promoting cycling, bike safety and maintenance; a live DJ; and a place to donate bicycles to the organization Working Bikes.
Bike rides of all ages are invited to take part in a bike parade at 10 a.m., starting near Wheaton City Hall. No registration is necessary to participate, and riders are encouraged to decorate their bikes. The parade will use the following route:
- Start at Karlskoga Avenue and Wheaton Avenue
- North on Wheaton Avenue
- West (left) on Jefferson Avenue
- South (left) on West Street
- East (left) on Union Avenue
- South (right) on Wheaton Avenue to Wheaton City Hall.
Due to the parade, the following roads will be temporarily closed from approximately 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.:
- Wheaton Avenue, between Wesley & Jefferson
- Jefferson Avenue, between Wheaton and West Street
- West Street, between Jefferson & Union
- Union Avenue, between West Street & Wheaton Avenue.
The City asks for your cooperation in not moving barricades to ensure the safety of the Bike Parade participants. During the event, the Wheaton Police Department will have uniformed police officers assisting and directing traffic. Drivers may experience temporary traffic delays during the parade and may want to use an alternate route.