To help deter motor vehicle thefts, the Wheaton Police Department is expanding its program to provide steering wheel lock devices (commonly called a club) to individuals who work in Wheaton and own eligible Hyundai and Kia models that are being targeted by thieves. Wheaton residents are also eligible. The devices were donated by the Hyundai and Kia Motor Companies.
How to Know If You’re Eligible
Affected models include all 2011-2021 Hyundai and Kia vehicles that use a turn-to-start key ignition system and are not equipped with a push-to-start button. Because these vehicles do not include a specific anti-theft device that is included on other vehicles, they are more vulnerable to theft.
To qualify for the program, you must meet these requirements:
- You must have a 2011-2021 Hyundai or Kia vehicle with a turn-to-start key ignition system (not a push-to-start button)
- You must work in Wheaton and show via a government-issued ID, and
- The vehicle must be registered to you.
To obtain a steering wheel lock, please contact the Wheaton Police Department either by using the City’s online Service Request Form (select “Request a Steering Wheel Lock”) or by calling 630-260-2161 and asking to speak with the Traffic Unit. Once your eligibility is determined, Wheaton Police will set up a time for you to obtain your steering wheel lock club.
Safety tips that all vehicle owners should follow to help prevent theft:
- Never leave your unattended car running.
- Do not leave valuables where they can be seen; lock them in the trunk or take them with you. (Including purses, shopping bags, electronic devices, and firearms).
- Close and lock the windows and doors.
- Park in a well-lit area.
- Use an anti-theft device if possible.