On September 7, 2022, at approximately 1:00 p.m., two men claiming to be spraying for insects stole approximately $5,000 during a ruse burglary in the 100 block of Park Circle. A male subject drew the resident outside and advised her that management had requested he spray the apartment due to a neighbor having an issue with bugs in their apartment. The resident allowed the subject inside, and while he was distracting her, a second subject entered her residence removing $5,000.
The suspects were described as follows:
Offender 1 - M/H, 20-30 years of age, gray hat, black beard, blue long sleeve shirt w/white Carhart logo on sleeve, gray shorts, black sneakers, surgical mask, and reflective vest.
Offender 2 - M/H, 20-30 years of age, white short sleeve shirt w/long sleeve black shirt underneath, black surgical mask, and large spray bottle.
Offending vehicle is described as a small black sports car.
Wheaton police are urging residents to remain vigilant for ruse burglaries. They note that City of Wheaton employees and utility workers will have official identification from their employers.
City officials also recommend residents:
- Ask workers for identification before letting them into your home or onto your property;
- Be aware that burglars may wear reflective vests and carry clipboards in an attempt to look legitimate;
- When in doubt, call the listed employer of the City of Wheaton to confirm the appointment;
- Be wary of workers who say they are offering discounts in the area;
- If you go outside with someone claiming to be a worker, lock your home while you are outside;
- If you are suspicious of a person or you need help with verification, please call 911 for assistance.
Residents who have information about this ruse burglary are urged to contact the Wheaton Police Department at #630-260-2161.