At the Dec. 18, 2017 City Council meeting, the Council approved the annual property tax levy in the amount of $20,105,413, which is an increase of 0.6% (or $117,672) from the prior year’s tax levy.
While the tax levy is a slight increase from last year’s levy, it will not increase the City’s portion of most residents’ tax bills. The financial impact of the levy on each property owner depends upon the change in assessed value of their property from 2016 to 2017. Using an assumption of properties increasing in assessed value by 4.4%, there would be no change in the City’s portion of the typical property owner.
The City’s portion of your property taxes pays for police and fire protection services; infrastructure; library services; public improvements and more. For your 2016 property tax bill, the City’s portion represents 13.0% of your tax bill. The remainder of your property tax bill goes to:
- School District 200: 66.8%
- Wheaton Park District: 10.3%
- College of DuPage District 502: 3.4%
- DuPage County: 2.4%
- DuPage Co. Forest Preserve District: 2.0%
- Milton Township Road District: 1.0%
- Milton Township: 0.6%
- Mosquito Abatement Dist.: 0.2%
- DuPage Airport Authority 0.2%