The Downtown Wheaton Association will be sponsoring the Wheaton Christmas Parade and Carriage Rides beginning Friday, Nov. 24, 2017. There will be a Christmas Tree Lighting by Mayor Gresk at Martin Memorial Plaza at 5:45 p.m. (located on Front Street west of Main Street) on Friday, November 24, 2017.
The Living Wheaton Christmas Parade will step off at Wheaton Avenue and Wesley Street on Friday November 24, 2017 in front of City Hall at 6:00 p.m. and will precede:
- South on Wheaton Avenue to Front Street,
- East on Front Street to Cross Street and
- North on Cross Street for the parades dispersal.
On Friday, November 24, 2017 from approximately 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., the following streets will be temporarily closed for the annual Living Wheaton Christmas Parade:
- Wheaton Avenue between Union Avenue and Front Street.
- Wesley Street between Scott Street and Wheaton Avenue.
- Hale Street between Liberty Drive and Union Street.
- Front Street between Wheaton Avenue and Cross Street.
- Cross Street between Willow Avenue & Wesley Street.
Karlskoga Avenue will be closed to all vehicle traffic on Thursday, November 23, 2017 from 11 :00 p.m. to Friday, November 24, 2017 8:00 p.m.
The Downtown Wheaton Association will also be sponsoring Carriage Rides through the Central Business on the following dates and times:
Saturday, November 25 2017 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, December 2, 9, 16, and December 23, 2017 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The route of the Carriage Rides will be:
- Starting at Martin Memorial Plaza on Front Street.
- East on Front Street to Cross Street.
- North on Cross Street to Wesley Street.
- West on Wesley Street to Wheaton Avenue.
- East on Front Street returning to Martin Memorial Plaza.
There will be no street closures associated with the Carriage Rides.
Residents, citizens and motorists are being asked for their cooperation in not moving the barricades or cones to ensure the safety of the Parade participants.
Uniformed officers will be present to assist and direct traffic.
Motorists may experience temporary traffic delays and choose to alter their travel route to avoid these areas.
(See a map of these closures)