Firefighter Applications Available
The City of Wheaton will be conducting an open, competitive examination for the position of Firefighter.
SATURDAY, January 12, 2013
An application packet is available at www.publicsafetyrecruitment.com. Application deadline will be 12 NOON on Friday, December 7, 2012.
Firefighter Testing Process
The following description is intended to serve only as a general summary of the City’s Firefighter hiring process. Elements of the selection process include: the online application process, attendance at the orientation, and written examination.
Firefighter Minimum Requirements
- $25 non-refundable application fee
- U.S. Citizenship
- Must meet the following education requirement with grade “C” or better from an accredited college/university:
- Associate’s degree,
48 completed semester hours,
60 completed quarter hours (with grade “C” or better) from an accredited college/university
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must be 20 years of age and under 35 at time of application deadline, unless exempt by state statute
- Illinois certified Firefighter II with the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal by application deadline
- Must have a current and valid Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) EMT-Basic License by application deadline.
- Must possess a current and valid CPAT card at time of written exam (1/12/2013)
- Must possess a current and valid Ladder Climb certification at time of written exam (1/12/2013)
- No felony convictions
- Completion and submission of online application and all required documents by noon on December 7, 2012
Applicants are processed in subsequent steps as follows:
- Completion of online application and submission of all required documents.
- Proof of completion of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and Ladder Climb issued within 12 months prior to written exam date (1/12/2013).
- Mandatory orientation and written examination.
- An Initial Eligibility List of applicants will be established in numeric order based on a minimum passing score on the written examination (to qualify for placement on the Initial Eligibility List, the written exam score shall be at or above the median).
- Applicants who are eligible for preference points must make a claim in writing within 10 days after the posting of the Initial Eligibility List on the City Website.
Veterans Preference – 5 pts.: Persons who were engaged in the military service of the United States for a period of at least one year of active duty and who were honorably discharged therefrom, or who are now or have been members on inactive or reserve duty in such military or naval service, shall be preferred for appointment to and employment with the fire department of an affected department.
Educational Preference – 5 pts.: Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college or university
Experience Preference – 2.5 pts.: Illinois Firefighter III/ Advance Firefighter Certificate issued by the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal
Additional Preferences – Maximum 7.5 pts.:
- Current contract Paramedic with Wheaton Fire Dept. for a minimum of 12 months – 1 pt. per year – maximum 5 pts.
- Illinois Apparatus Engineer Certification/Advanced Certificate issued by the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshall. – 2.5 pts.
- The Final Eligibility List will be established in numeric order after awarding of verified preference points.
- The Final Eligibility List will be effective for 2 years from date of approval by the Board of Fire & Police Commissioners.
Applicants on the Final Eligibility List will be invited to participate in and successfully advance through the following steps: polygraph examination, Background investigation, Interview with Board of Fire & Police Commissioners, In-depth psychological examination after conditional offer of employment, Proof of valid CPAT card after conditional offer of employment, Medical examination including drug screen after conditional offer of employment