We are responsible for providing all engineering services for the City related to streets, sewers, water, traffic studies and stormwater management. Our services help maintain the City’s infrastructure and ensure the safety of Wheaton residents.
What we do:
- Plan, design, administer construction and supervise all City-owned infrastructure systems
- Provide engineering services for specific capital improvement maintenance projects as directed by the Mayor and City Council
- Review project plans and inspect construction for private development projects
- Issue permits for developers to install infrastructure systems and stormwater management
- Perform traffic engineering studies and determine appropriate location and type of traffic signals, signs and pavement markings along City streets
The Engineering Department provides information for residents and businesses about:
- City utility locations, including sanitary and storm sewers and water distribution facilities
- Flood plain maps and studies
- Stormwater drainage and flooding studies
Capital Improvement Projects
Our department provides engineering services for capital improvement projects such as the Annual Road Program, Five Year Annual Road Program and Sanitary Sewer Rehabilitation.
Stormwater Management and Site Grading
New construction plans must incorporate stormwater management practices. Soil erosion control measures, site grading and stormwater runoff detention are reviewed for compliance with the City and County-wide stormwater management ordinances. Together these ordinances are one of the most stringent stormwater management codes in the country. For more information, read about DuPage County's stormwater permitting process.
Many homes have drainage problems that range from major flooding to persistent standing water. A drainage review is a free comprehensive evaluation of everything having to do with drainage and your property performed by the City’s stormwater engineer. Learn more about drainage reviews. Also, see flooding prevention tips.
We perform various traffic engineering duties including studies for intersection traffic control, monitoring of traffic signal timings, and determination of appropriate pavement markings and traffic control signs along City streets.