Jim Kozik, Director
Economic Development
303 W. Wesley Street, 1st Fl,  
Hours: M-F 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone: 630-260-2008

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions that the Economic Development Department addresses:

Q: What permits do I need to open a business?

A: A Commercial Re-Occupancy Permit is required when a business moves into an existing commercial space. Depending on the type of interior modifications planned, a building permit may be required. To find information on what will be required for your specific project, contact the Commercial Plans Examiner in the Building Department at 630-260-2050.

Q: Is a business license required?

A: A business license is required only for certain types of businesses, in accordance with Chapters 10 and 26 of the City Code. For more information, contact the City Clerk’s Office.

Q: Where are the City’s Sign Codes?

A: Sign size, shape, location and content are regulated by Article 23 of the Zoning Ordinance.

Q: What wall signage is permitted for a tenant space in an existing shopping center?

A: Wall signage is allowed on the front of the building, with a maximum size of 1.5 times the width of the frontage of the tenant space. For information on wall signage, see Article 23.7.2 of the Zoning Ordinance.

Q: What kind of temporary signs are permitted for a business?

A: See Article 23.9.5 for information on Banners and Article 23.9.6 for information on Placard Signs.

Q: Is any off-site advertising permitted?

A: No. See Article 23.4 Prohibited Signs.

Q: Are inflatable devices, pendants, etc. permitted?

A: No. See Article 23.4 Prohibited Signs.